Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,762. Welcome to our newest member, AnicaLin
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Platinum

Default My Very First Bulino

Here's a couple of plates i've dug out. They were engraved in 1982. The smallest was my very first attempt at dots.
You have to bare in mind that I had only been "Messing" about for a very short period, and had not yet been able to make a graver that would cut properly and at this point still had'nt.
There were as far as I knew, no books about on how to engrave, so it was a matter of, make a tool, grind it, temper it and see if it worked. If it did'nt, try again.
I was not familier with scroll design in fact the St.George scroll engraving was a VERY bad attempt at an Italian scroll that I had found a picture of.

I was desperate to become an engraver and at this time I had engraved on mainly practice plates.

I sent these plates to a few gun companies but had no luck with getting work, and I don't blame them, ok, the scenes were ok, but the scroll leaves much to be desired.

One very well known gun company sent them back saying that they thought this work was "Photo etched" and seamed to imply that I was pulling a fast one!

This really got to me, after all that work I put into them, for someone to think that.
I wrote back explaining the technique from start to finish. It appeared that they had never seen "Dot Work". They apologised and invited me to visit them, we got on well and later there was a lot of work from them.

Anyway, here they are!

Phil

Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Steel

Default Re: My Very First Bulino

Very good :yesnod: :yesnod: very beautiful job
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Platinum

i say Phil , i think you where very good at this stage and now just fantastic , thanks for posting .. ron p
Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Platinum

"Messing about" .... you must be kidding ?

Only a natural & born master can show a closeup photo of his first practice plate which is far better than most (if not all) of the bulino scenes that others have taken a lifetime to accomplish.

Simply outstanding. My opinion regarding the scroll work .... if it were too well detailed or overwhelming, it would be a distraction from the scene which is the centerpiece of the plate anyway.

btw: A quick question ... what was "ye olde method" of image transfer that you used to capture such detail?

many thanks,

Chris

Last edited by WVEngraver; 02-08-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added question
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Gold

Phil,
Your work always leaves my head spinning. I am getting more and more interested in Bulino work. (There's no way I would share my first practise plates in public)

I still have a difficult time acheiving a full spectrum of gray (white to black). Four or MAYBE five levels of gray is all I seem to be able to eake out. Your work is really an inspiration. The close-up photos are much appreciated by us 'mortals' who are trying to climb up to the next level.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVEngraver View Post

btw: A quick question ... what was "ye olde method" of image transfer that you used to capture such detail?

Chris
Chris,
For that I used the talcom powder method, I still do from time to time.
Draw the design onto tracing paper.
Rub your fingers over the work area, the oils from your skin help the next part.
Sprinkle a small amount of talc onto the work area and lightly pat it down.
Blow the residue off.
Place the tracing on top and scribe over the design with a rounded tool.
Take the tracing off and the lines are left in the talc, scribe over these as normal.
Of course all the detail of the scenes cannot be put in, in this way, that is done later.

Phil
Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Platinum

Phil, simply amazing. I was starting to learn engraving along about those same years myself. The only book i ever found at that time was Meeks The Art of Engraving which was actually quite helpful except for his favorite graver being the onglette which i could never get to cut a decent line of any kind without huge burrs and just couldnt stand it. No matter how I tried sharpening it it never cut any better for me that a cold chisel. Later learning about the wonderful square grave which is just about all i use for everything . I about gave up engraving over that damn onglette!

Great start you made there, your amazing talent showed itself early and has only gotten better over the years. Now lets JAM!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Hi Phil,
If these where your first atempts on steel, you must have been decorating your mothers whoom wenn you were still in the making! :whoo:
Thats an eccelent compliment to hear that you must have been etching though you probably didn't think like that at the time.
You are a huge inspiration.

Thanks for showing.

Daniel
Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Platinum

Thank-you very much Phil,

So basically, the detail was freehand. I'm simply mesmerized by the expression of intensity you achieved on both the horse and the dragon. Being very familiar with the artwork before touching the metal is certainly very important.

Thank-you again,

Chris
Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum

I'd have to say you started at the top. That early work shows the same dedication you bring to all your Art. Very impressive, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Platinum

Phil, So impressed with all your work...
Thanks for all you share...
Jerry
Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Copper

WOW, Phil that is amazing, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Steel

Hi Phil

Who did you have to sell your soul to, to start at this level???

Do you still have his address or phone number??

Paul